A unit of Sri Aurobindo Udyog Trust
Cottage Industries was started in 1949, under the guidance of The Mother, to provide Sri Aurobindo Ashram with incense sticks and mats, the surplus being distributed amongst devotees. In time, demand for incense arose from devotees abroad and the first export was made in 1973.
As the name suggests, effort is on to try and maintain a natural ambience and simple style of working, avoiding as far as possible an industrialised approach to manufacturing. Recycled materials are utilise and integrate nature-friendly methods where possible.
The product line has expanded to include perfumed incense sticks, perfumed and decorated candles, a line of soaps and body-care products and some ceramic, terracotta and wood artefacts.